ON THE DEATH OF HIS MISTRESS
by: Abu Sahet Alhedhily
- OST thou
wonder that I flew
- Charm'd to meet my LEILA'S view?
- Dost thou wonder that I hung
- Raptur'd on my LEILA'S tongue?--
- If her ghost's funereal screech
- Thro' the earth my grave should reach,
- On that voice I lov'd so well
- My transported ghost would dwell:
- If in death I can descry
- Where my LEILA'S relics lie,
- SAHER'S dust will flit away,
- There to join his LEILA'S clay.
MORE POEMS BY ABU SAHET ALHEDHILY
"On the Death of His Mistress"
is reprinted from Specimens of Arabian Poetry, From the Earliest
Time to the Extinction of the Khaliphat. Trans. J.D. Carlyle.
Cambridge: John Burges, 1796.