POET TO HIS LOVE
by: Maxwell Bodenheim (1892-1954)
- N old
silver church in a forest
- Is my love for you.
- The trees around it
- Are words that I have stolen from your heart.
- An old silver bell, the last smile you gave,
- Hangs at the top of my church.
- It rings only when you come through the forest
- And stand beside it.
- And then, it has no need for ringing,
- For your voice takes its place.
POEMS BY MAXWELL BODENHEIM
"Poet to His Love" is
reprinted from Modern American Poetry. Ed. Louis Untermeyer.
New York: Harcourt, Brace and Howe, 1919.