by: Pedro Calderón
de la Barca (1600-1681)
- REE which
heaven has willed to dower
- With that true fruit whence we live,
- As that other death did give;
- Of new Eden loveliest flower;
- Bow of light, that in worst hour
- Of the worst flood signal true
- O'er the world, of mercy threw;
- Fair plant, yielding sweetest wine;
- Of our David harp divine;
- Or our Moses tables new;
- Sinner am I, therefore I
- Claim upon thy mercies make;
- Since alone for sinners' sake
- God on thee endured to die.
MORE POEMS BY CALDERÓN
This English translation by R.C.
Trench of Calderón's "The Cross" is reprinted
from Hispanic Anthology: Poems Translated from the Spanish
by English and North American Poets. Ed. Thomas Walsh. New
York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1920.