Who for his sake wished
by: William Cartwright
MORE POEMS BY WILLIAM CARTWRIGHT
- HERE are
two births; the one when light
- First strikes the new awaken'd sense;
- The other when two souls unite,
- And we must count our life from thence:
- When you loved me and I loved you
- Then both of us were born anew.
- Love then to us new souls did give
- And in those souls did plant new powers;
- Since when another life we live,
- The breath we breathe is his, not ours:
- Love makes those young whom age doth chill,
- And whom he finds young keeps young still.